Devon Smith is currently the Director of Social Media for Threespot, a digital engagement agency in DC primarily serving nonprofit and governmental organizations.
She holds an MBA from Yale School of Management, an MFA in Theatre Management from the Yale School of Drama, a Bachelor of Business Administration and a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Washington. She’s worked for nonprofit organizations across the country, primarily in the arts & culture sector, often having to do with digital strategy. She loves strange maps, obscure excel functions, ciao bella gelato, heteroscedasticity, traveling in tuk tuks, and The West Wing. Wanna see her resume?
And those photos you see scrolling across the header? Not some random istock filler. They’re all photos she’s taken in the past 3 years somewhere in Greece, Egypt, Ghana, Nigeria, India, Nepal, Mexico, Grand Caymen, Jamaica, Peru, Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore, Malaysia, Borneo, Indonesia, or Australia.
- Social Media in Practice at MidwestArts Conference (September 2011)
- Social Media isn’t SIMPLE at MidwestArts Conference (September 2011)
- Social Media Step by Step at Chorus America 2011 National Conference (June 2011)
- Earning Your Social Media MFA: 9 months of material in 90 minutes at Theatre Communications Group 2011 National Conference (June 2011)
- Foursquare and the Arts at the 2011 CultureLab at the University of Chicago
- 13 Guerrilla Research and Analysis Tools at the 2011 Nonprofit Technology Conference
- Shakespeare and Social Media at the 2011 International Shakespeare Conference in Boulder
- Social Media Strategy: Why ROI Isn’t Enough at Theatre Communications Group 2010 National Conference in Chicago
- Branding Yourself Through Technology and Social Media at Americans for the Arts Half Century Summit in Baltimore
And given workshops:
- Location Based Social Networks and the Arts for Leveraging Social Media in San Fransisco
- Mechanics of Measurement for Leveraging Social Media in San Fransisco
- Social Media and the Arts: Measuring the Field for Leveraging Social Media in San Francisco
- Creating a Social Media Strategy Plan for the New York Theatre Network
- Case Studies of Theatres Using Social Media for the Nonprofit Technology Network webinar series
- Science of Social Media Building Organizational Capacity for the Cultural Development Corporation of DC
- Science of Social Media Personal Branding for the Cultural Development Corporation of DC
Occasionally people interview her:
- Theatre, Twitter, and Revolution by Gwydion Suilebhan
- Social Media Podcast with Devon Smith by Pat German, Technology in the Arts (June 18, 2010)
- In the Trenches by Gus Shulenberg, Theatre Communications Group (July 6, 2010)
- Social Media and the Theatre by Rick St. Peter, Southern Theatre Magazine (upcoming)
Or mention her research in their workshops:
- Social Media for Entertainers (Jason Sem)
- Social Media for PR Basics (Peter Kuo)
- Using Social Media to do More with Less (Beth Kanter)
- TCG Leadership Teleconference Call-Using Social Media Strategically for Theatre (Beth Kanter)
- Portland Theatre Marketers Roundtable-Facebook Marketing for Theatre Companies (Cory Huff)
And she generally likes PowerPoint. A lot.